– My friend sent me a text message about halfway through the first half that summed it up best: John Fucking Wall. Dude’s had it in sixth the entire game; a couple of circus shots and a pull away dunk cap the highlight reel, but it’s been an all-around spectacular half for the prodigy point guard. He’s got two steals to go along with 13 points and 4 assists.
– Darius Miller’s come to play. He scored 3 out of 4 straight possessions at one point, draining a nice floater in the lane to go along with a couple of 3’s. He’s got 8 points on 3 of 5 shooting (2-3 from 3)
– Raise your hand if you’re sort of relieved Kentucky didn’t sign Tyler Zeller. He has looked absolutely terrible today, perhaps illustrated best by one of the ugliest attempts at a hook shot I’ve ever seen by a college basketball player. He’s redeemed himself somewhat with a couple of late buckets, but overall he’s looked timid and lost. 4 points and 5 boards don’t do his shittiness justice.
– UK Bigs – Patterson has 11 & 5, Cousins 5 & 2, Orton 0 & 1. The latter two haven’t been spectacular, but they haven’t had to be so far.
– Carolina looks slow. They’ve backed off a bit from their super-aggressive man-to-man they usually employ, probably b/c they don’t have a chance in hell of keeping up.
A phenomenal performance by UK so far. This is why UK hired Calipari: to bring in brand name talent and beat brand name competition. Hopefully the ‘Cats can keep it up in the second half.